Towns and Villages

  • Aberdeen Lighthouse

    Aberdeen City

    Today's cosmopolitan city of Aberdeen grew originally as a fishing port and market. After the discovery of oil and gas in the North Sea in the 1970's, Aberdeen swelled and grew rapidly, quickly adapting to meet the needs of the offshore industries.

    Known also as the Granite City, Aberdeen has a fantastic range of historic granite built buildings, some of which date back over 400 years.

    There are 60 images in this gallery

  • Linn of Dee Bridge, Braemar

    Braemar Village

    Braemar in Royal Deeside takes its name from the Gaelic Bràigh Mhàrr which refers to the area of upper Marr.

    Braemar is famous for the Braemar Gathering, also known as The Games. Braemar holds an annual Highland Games Gathering on the first Saturday in September, and it is traditionally attended by the British Royal Family.

    There are 4 images in this gallery

  • Crovie, Aberdeenshire

    Crovie Village

    The coastal village of Crovie (pronounced "Crivvy") on the Buchan peninsula has changed little over the last century, and is to this day inaccessible by car. The public road ends at a car park above the village, and goods are transported to Crovie down a footpath to the village.

    Crovie can date its history back to at least 1297, and the nearby St Johns church goes back even further to 1004.

    There are 14 images in this gallery

  • Ellon

    Ellon Town

    Originally just a fording place across the Ythan river, Ellon slowly grew to became the Buchan seat of power in the Middle Ages when Ellon Castle (called Ardgith) was built by the Kennedy family. Robert the Bruce totally destroyed Ellon in 1308 as part of the "Harrying of Buchan" following the defeat of his enemy, the Earl of Buchan.

    With a population now approximately 10 000, Ellon has a thriving local community and is popular with commuters wishing to work in Aberdeen but live outwith the city. This popularity has helped to push local house prices ever higher, and Ellon was ranked in the top four most rapidly increasing areas within Scotland in 2006.

    There are 43 images in this gallery

  • Fraserburgh Lighthouse

    Fraserburgh Lighthouse

    Fraserburgh's Kinnaird Lighthouse was built in 1787 by Thomas Smith. The castle on which the lighthouse sits was erected by Sir Alexander Fraser, 8th laird of Philorth in 1570. Kinnaird was the first lighthouse to be erected on the mainland of Scotland. In 1824, Robert Stevenson radically altered the light and constructed a lighthouse tower within the walls of the original castle.

    Kinnaird Head is also famous for being the site of the first radio beacon in Scotland.

    There are 2 images in this gallery

  • Gamrie Bay, Gardenstown

    Gardenstown Village

    Known locally as Gamrie, the small village of Gardenstown nestles on the North-East coast of Aberdeenshire, near Banff. The steep road which winds through the village ends at the sheltered fishing harbour and seafront.

    Gardenstown recently featured in the ITV series titled 'The Baron', which was filmed in and around the village. The series featured three celebrities; Malcolm McLaren, Mike Reid and Suzanne Shaw, each competing to be elected 'Baron of Troup'.

    There are 4 images in this gallery

  • Pennan Coastline

    Pennan Village

    The fishing village of Pennan, which is adjacent to Crovie, became famous for its appearance in the film Local Hero (directed by Bill Forsyth and soundtrack by Mark Knopfler, of Dire Straits) as the fictional village of Ferness.

    Fans of the film come from all over the world to make a phone call from the red telephone box which featured in the film. The phone box was in fact originally put there only as a prop for the film, and then removed, but as a result of public demand a genuine telephone box was installed a few metres from the original spot, and has been a listed building since 1989.

    There are 12 images in this gallery

  • Peterhead Bay

    Peterhead

    Peterhead on the east coast of Aberdeenshire was founded by the Keith Earls Marischal in 1587, and was developed as a planned settlement. In 1593 the construction of Peterhead's first harbour, Port Henry, encouraged the growth of Peterhead as a fishing port and established a base for trade. Famed today as a thriving fishing port, Peterhead is the largest town in Aberdeenshire.

    There are 4 images in this gallery

  • Stonehaven Harbour

    Stonehaven Town

    Growing from an Iron Age settlement, the coastal town of Stonehaven (Cala na Creige in Gaelic) was once part of Kincardineshire, but now falls within Aberdeenshire. Every Hogmanay Stonehaven hosts the annual fireballs ceremony, where locals swing huge balls of fire on chains, and eventually throw these into the harbour.

    On the outskirts of Stonehaven lies Dunnottar Castle, Fetteresso Castle and Muchalls Castle, and Stonehaven falls on the medieval coastal route from Scotland's central belt in the south, to Aberdeen. Stonehaven has today grown to include the historic fishing village of Cowie, with the ruins of Cowie Castle beyond. Slightly to the west of Stonehaven is the ruined Ury House.

    There are 4 images in this gallery